You will need:
- 8 breakfast sausages or four jumbos
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1kg potatoes, freshly cooked
- 150ml milk, approx.
- A knob of butter
- 2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
For the caramelised onions
- 4 red onions, peeled and sliced into 1cm rings
- A little oil and a knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
Grill the sausages until cooked through and golden. While the sausages are cooking start on the onions. Heat a little oil and butter in a heavy based saucepan and sauté the onions, over a medium heat, until softened. This will take about 20 minutes. Add the sugar, wine vinegar and a little salt and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
Heat the milk with the butter. Add to the warm potatoes along with the mustard, salt and pepper. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, mix well together. Serve with the sausages and caramelised onions.